To be considered before starting all the procedure

  1. Application form
  2. TAX FEE – NÚM. 790 (code 052)
  3. TIE card
  4. Copy of a valid passport 
  5. “Certificado de empadronamiento”
  6. Grades certificate
  7. Letter of acceptance from UIC Barcelona
  8. Healthcare Insurance
  9. Economic resources


  • You can renew your TIE until 2 months prior and until 3 months after the date of expiration.  
  • The resolution to obtain the renewal might take around 2 weeks, however the administration has three months to answer to the application. 
  • You must have a fixed domicile at the time of application, it is highly recommended that you register at the city hall as soon as possible, and get your “empadronamiento”. In case you have not registered yet you need to provide an address where you can receive letters ; if you don’t receive the letters your application might be denied.
  • Foreign language documents must be translated into Spanish by an official sworn translator. Please check the Ministry list of translators in 2018.
  • Once you have the Resolution you will still have to do make an appointment at a police station to get your physical card (TIE). That is call Cita de Huellas.
  • You can contact with our Legal Advisor, Quintián Abogados, if you have any doubt on the renewal process.


There is no need for an appointment to do the renewal application. 

There are three ways to submit your application:

  • At any CORREOS post office through ORVE system. You need to provide the original document plus a copy of each required documents at the Correos office. The fees for that process will vary from 5€ to 10€.
  • By Digital certificate through MERCURIO application.
  • You can get a digital certificate at the Barcelona city hall. 
  • Quintián Abogados hold an authorized digital certificate in the case you want them to submit the renewal for you. 
  • In person at a public registry, such us the one located in C/ Bergara num. 6. This option is the least advisable as the resolution of the renewal by this system will take more than a month. 


All foreign documents must be legalized; if the document is Spanish language ought be translated by a Sworn translator.


The application form must be fuly completed and signed. It is downloadable here.

If you are not using a digital certificate the notifications will be done by letter at your domicile. Please note that it is very important that someone is in the house while the process is opened since the letter has to be notified in person. 

When filling the form please check the box only when you have the digital certificate: 

  1. TAX FEE – NÚM. 790 (code 052)

You can download it here and pay it at any ATM. 

  1. TIE card

The student residence card that you hold at the moment.


Copy of passport picture page, Spanish visa page and entry stamp page


It is an official document issued by the Barcelona city hall where you register your domicile. In case you have not registered yet you need to provide an address where you can receive letters.


Last updated certificate with your academic program. If some marks are not still definitive or haven’t been published, ask the university for a provisional certificate. 

Inmigration office requires you to have successfully passed the academic year, it is compulsory to pass at least half of the subjects you registered for. 


This document is certifying your acceptance into the second year of your studies. If you change your studies the renewal will only be accepted if both studies are connected, and the new studies is a superior level. 


There are two options:

  • European Health Card 

If you are already a resident of the European Union and you have obtained this card, it will be enough.

  • Private insurance

The policy must be from an authorized company in Spain and it should clearly show that it is valid for the duration of your period of residence in Spain covering at least:

    • medical expenses
    • hospitalization
    • repatriation in the event of accident or sudden illness

Information about international student insurance


It is necessary to prove that you have sufficient economic resources for the duration of your period of residence in Spain. Please note that pay sleeps from your own work won’t be accepted to show you have economic means since student resident permit only allows students to work as part of their study program. 

  1. A Spanish bank account with a balance of at least 537€ x number of months of your stay, at the time of application. 

It will also be accepted a balance of (537€ x number of months of your stay) x 50%, when you can show the last six months moments of your account, and the monthly income from that period is higher than 537€.

  1. Grant accreditation, showing the amount of money  and its length. In case it is an international Grant the documents has to be legalized and translated.
    1. If it states the total amount, it must be at least €5,916.24 for 11 months.
    1. If it states a monthly amount, it must be at least €537.84 per month.
  1. An official declaration of financial support from parents/guardian: 

For this statement to be valid, it must be issued and signed by a notary public or made at a Spanish consulate in the parents’ country of residence . The document has to be translated into Spanish.

The document has to show the amount in Euros you will receive in Spain and how will you get that amount. A credit card won’t be accepted. 

  1. Help from a relative living in Spain

A notary act showing a close relative will support you economically. The person who helps you needs to show his economic means. 

NOTA: If you plan on entering and residing in Spain with another member of your family, the minimum required amount will be: €537.84 x (11 x (1+0.75) = €10,353.42 (0.75 represents your family member). 

In the case of coming with a second or more family members, this coefficient is 0.50.

Please be aware that if you are planning to enter Spain with your family members, you will also need to present documents which prove your relationship, such as marriage certificate, birth certificate (for children), etc.