All the advices you need to get a Private Health Insurance to come to Barcelona
Why do you need private health insurance in Spain?
It is well known that Spain has one of the best healthcare systems in the world. Though, all residents in Spain have access to the free public healthcare system, which only applies to Spanish citizens and residents who are employed or self-employed in the country. The vast majority of immigration procedures in Spain requires contracting private health insurance.
If you are an international student from a non-EU/EEA country, wanting to study in Spain for more than 3 months, apply for a student visa, renew your student residence permit (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero or “TIE”) or stay in Spain to live or work after your studies, you will need to contract a private health insurance.
Criteria for private health insurance in Spain for students
Having a valid private health insurance in Spain is a critical factor for the success of your student VISA or residence permit application. This means that your health insurance policy will have to meet the following criteria:
This means that you do not have to pay additional fees every time you go to the doctor or hospital -your health insurance must cover payment for all types of visits, whatever their nature.
No waiting periods
A waiting period is the amount of time you must wait before some or all of the coverage comes into effect. Your health insurance must provide you with all the coverage included in your policy from the very first day.
Your health insurance must include repatriation coverage to your home country.
Total medical coverage in Spain, with no limitation.
Maximum coverage in Spain
Your health insurance must be from a Spanish insurance company or insurance company authorised to operate in Spain, that provides the same coverage as the public Spanish healthcare system and be valid throughout Spain
How we can help you with your private health insurance in Spain
We understand that having to choose between different insurance companies on top of gathering all the paperwork for your student VISA and residence permit applications can be a daunting task. We work exclusively with the Spanish Insurance Company SANITAS, which has a high success rate for immigration applications and fulfils all VISA requirements for students in Spain.
SANITAS is a leading private healthcare company in Spain and has a special insurance policy specifically for international students which not only meets all requirements for student VISA and residence permit applications in Spain, but also provides several other benefits.
- Part of the BUPA group which is the leading private healthcare company in the UK and present in more than 190 countries.
- Access to more than 40,000 professionals, 1200 medical centres, and to nationally renowned hospitals in Spain
- Free and discounted dental treatment with SANITAS Dental 21.
- Outpatient care including primary medicine, diagnostic tests and therapeutic methods
- Hospital care including surgery, hospitalisation and emergencies
- Responsive customer care (including in English) with phone and online support and 24-hour emergency phone service and medical advice.
Contract conditions and benefits with Sanitas International Students
- Minimum stay of 3 months to a year (annually renewable)
- Insured person must be between 14 to 35 years old
- Discount of 4% for annual payment
- Insurance Premiums can be paid monthly with a Spanish bank account
- Surcharge of 15% for Menorca and Ibiza and 4% for Mallorca
- Policy approval subject to provision of copy of passport and enrolment/matriculation letter from your University
We are an authorised agent of SANITAS (30185), and can expedite the process of getting your private health insurance in time for your student VISA and residence permit application.
All you have to do is to complete the SANITAS application form and send it to email@example.com, together with a copy of your university enrolment/matriculation letter and a copy of your passport.
Get in touch with us for more information.